What Does “In Shape” Mean?
What does being “in shape” mean? There’s really no answer to that question. I think it means different things to different people. For one person it may mean the ability to run a marathon. For another it may mean having a “six-pack”. For another it may mean being able to deadlift two times their bodyweight. What I want to do today is give you a few of my ideas about being in-shape and what it entails.
This is by no means an exhaustive list and not everything on this list may be reasonable for everyone but it will give you a few things to shoot for and may even give you a few ideas.
1. Pick something up with a neutral spine. If you can’t do this then nothing else matters because you’ll soon be suffering from back pain if you’re not already.
2. Squat to parallel while standing and facing a wall six inches away.
3. Perform a perfect pushup.
4. Be able to walk a mile at a decent clip.
5. Be able to help someone move without worrying.
6. Deadlift your bodyweight.
Let me know if you have any ideas and what you think.
Mitch Rothbardt, CPT, PN Lean Eating Coach, FMS
2861 Grove Way in Castro Valley
I Help People Discover Their Strength!