Hi! Every Christmas I write a list so that you can do some shopping for the fitness enthusiast in your life. This year is no exception, so please don’t get your loved one the latest “Butt Lifter” or “Ab Toner” or whatever else you just saw on that infomercial. I’ll give you the lowdown on some stuff that you can get that will really work for your favorite gym rat.
1. Resistance Bands – Over the last year I’ve introduced these to my clients and we use them all the time to get stronger, more mobile, lose weight increase flexibility and have a ton of fun. The bands I recommend aren’t the usual ones you can find in any sporting goods store, though. The ones I use are like really big rubber bands.
You can get a package here that will give you everything you need to get started including a four-week workout program. You can also go here to download a free e-book about how to develop a stronger core with bands. Who doesn’t like free?
2. Ab Wheel. Oh yes! The only thing I’ve ever seen on an infomercial that actually works! This is a fantastic tool for core training and you can find them just about anywhere for between 10 and 20 bucks. The only thing is that it WILL make you pretty darn sore the first few times you use it, so start off slowly and it does fall into the “advanced” exercise category so be honest about your level before you tear yourself up.
3. ARF wear. Those who know me know how much I love and value our four-legged friends. In fact, as I write this, I have my puppy taking a nap in my lap. Go here to pick up something to help support one of the best animal rescue organizations anywhere: Tony LaRussa’s Animal Rescue Foundation. (I know it’s not fitness related, but that’s OK.)
4. A Blender Bottle. These are, quite simply, the best shaker bottles around! They come with a wire/whisk ball that breaks up your protein powder and mixes it up very well. No more chunky protein shakes! You can find them in just about any supplement/health food store for about $10-$15 depending on the size. I have five and I still need to seach for a clean one!
5. A personal trainer. I can’t let this go without a shameless plug. But seriously, whether it’s me or someone else, a good trainer can get you to your goals faster and safer. Just do your due diligence and find a good one.
6. Eating Well magazine. Everyone knows how important nutrition is to your goals. This magazine focuses on relatively healthy, easy and most importantly, delicious recipes that anyone can make. Even me! For just $9.99 you can get a year subscription to this great magazine. Just go here to get it.
7. The Men’s Health Book of Power Training by Robert dos Remedios. Put it this way. This book completely changed the way I look at training. If you’re still having a “chest” day and an “arm” day take a look at this book to see another more integrated and functional full-body approach. The author trains hundreds of college athletes a day using the templates found right here.
Well, I hope that gives you some ideas. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some more suggestions for the people in your life. Have a wonderful holiday season!
Mitch Rothbardt, CPT, PN Lean Eating Coach
Discover Your Strength!